Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Welcome to my World!

I inherited my love of genealogy from my mother. My mother used to talk about the stories she heard growing up, where she was told that her family had ties to the Mayflower. She traced her history with the assistance of her mother and found that she was descended from Captain Moses Fuqua who served in the Revolutionary War. This permitted her to join the Daughters of the American Revolution. She was also able to discover that Moses Fuqua’s wife Judith Woodson came from a family that arrived in Jamestown in 1619. She was never able to confirm the connection to anyone associated with the Mayflower.

Over the last 25 years, I have picked up my family history numerous times and have been intrigued by the stories I have found. One of the first things I discovered when I researched our history is that there are people who are more interested in collecting names than facts. I have seen tenuous connections made just to get another generation added to a family tree. Because of this, I have spent a lot of time verifying the information that was passed on to me.

I have expanded the research my mother did and opened many new family lines. One of the connections I found was the Bingham family line. Hannah Bingham married Dr. Richard Woodson Morton (grandson of Moses Fuqua) in 1820. Hannah is the great-great-great-granddaughter of Myles Standish, Captain of the Mayflower Company. This proves the accuracy of one of the rules of genealogy; get as much information from living relatives as possible. It may lead you to real connections.

The name of this blog comes from a story about the sons of Dr. John Woodson. In April of 1644, Dr. John Woodson was killed during an Indian attack on his plantation. His wife Sarah hid their 2 sons, one (Robert) under a washtub and the other (John) in a hole used to store potatoes. Ever since, descendents of John have been referred to as “Potato Hole” and Robert as “Washtub” Woodsons.

I am starting this blog to share the story of my family and my quest to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment